List:       trac
Subject:    Re: [Trac] Re: [SETUP] - Using Unix Users and Groups for Trac
From:       Jonas_Bähr <jonas.baehr () web ! de>
Date:       2006-02-20 20:31:15

Am 20.02.2006 um 12:36 schrieb Manuzhai:

>> Possibly there is a way to generate those .htdigest / .htpasswd files
>> automated?
>
> For the usernames, sure. For the passwords: those aren't stored
> anywhere, so you'll have to redo that stuff (UNIX just stores hashes,
> so you can't regenerate the passwords from those).

AFAIK Linux used md5-hashes. Apache can deal with them too. So it
should be possible to gererate a .htpasswd from a /etc/passwd and /
etc/shadows (you need root to do that since only he can read the
shadows). However, I don't recomend this way since the only reason
fopr shadows was to hide the pw-hashes from the users access. If
you're copying them into a public readable .htpasswd, all the
protection is deprecated.

If you need one central place to manage users for trac and svn, I
suggest to use trac and svn trhough apache. In his config you could
point every svn-share or trac-instance to use the _same_ .htpasswd.

bye,
Jonas