List:       trac
Subject:    [Trac] Help: Trac Logon does not ask for my user name
From:       cmlenz () gmx ! de (Christopher Lenz)
Date:       2004-12-20 6:54:52

Am 18.12.2004 um 13:33 schrieb Norbert Unterberg:
> I am having trouble with Trac 0.8 when I try to use different
> identities
>> from the same computer.
>
> I installed Trac on a windows 2003 server using the SSPI authorization
> (we use the same settings for the subversion repository). At first
> logon I had not problem, the web browser showed me the
> username/password dialog, and I could log on without any trouble. Then
> I tried some things with different browsers and so on, and now I can
> not get Trac to ask me for my user name.
>
> Whenever I point my browser to http://myserver/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/login
> then the browser does not ask me for my name, but seems to jump to the
> main wiki page, showing that I am logged in, and displaying something
> like I do not have the rights to view the Wiki.
>
> I noticed that the user name in the top right corner is my user name
> but with different case. I initially logged on as "nunterberg" and
> Trac shows me I am "NUnterberg". Is trac case sensitive for user
> names? How do I log off and on again, so that trac asks me for my user
> name again?

Trac is simply using the username as supplied by the browser. With
NTLM, there's more indirection happening, and the browser may be
sending some kind of normalized username (i.e. case is ignored for
password verification, but the username is later sent with proper
case).

Trac offers no _real_ logout function, despite the UI offering a
"Logout" link. This is because the browser continues to send the
authentication headers with every request until you close the browser
(well, newer Mozilla versions have a builtin Logout function, but it's
hidden way pretty well). In addition, Trac creates a session cookie
with your username (the trac_auth cookie), which will also only get
deleted when you quit the browser. You might want to delete that cookie
manually to make sure you get a fresh login.

Please report back if you find what the source of the problem was. The
login system is a bit of a hack, and I wouldn't be surprised if there
were some subtle bugs hidden away in it.

Cheers, Chris
--
Christopher Lenz
/=/ cmlenz at gmx.de