List:       tpmdd-devel
Subject:    Re: [tpmdd-devel] QEMU TPM
From:       Stefan Berger <stefanb () linux ! vnet ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2014-05-18 1:21:20

On 05/16/2014 11:47 AM, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> That is strange, pcrs should certainly not be present if tpm0 is absent.
>
> I wonder if the driver partially started and did not clean up on failure
> exit, that is still a known problem area in this code.

> It shouldn't ever be null - if the pcr sysfs is present then the chip
> must be present too.
>
> But there should be more tpm related messages if you got in a state with
> pcrs and no dev/tpm!
>
>> Really something got broken.
>> Last kernel version where QEMU TPM works is 3.13-rc7...
>> Neither 3.14.0 nor 3.15-rc5 works...
>>
>> There is set of patches by Jason (in CC) starting from this that changes a lot:
>>
>> afdba32e2a9ea729a9f9f280dbf6c718773c7ded
>>
>> May be he can help?
> Are there more debug messages? Anything from tpm_tis?
>
> This is quemu? Do you have some very simple directions I could follow
> to reproduce it on Ubuntu Trusty?

The problem comes from the call to tpm_add_ppi() failing. There are
probably many machines out there that don't have the physical presence
interface and they will fail because of this call failing. So this call
should not be a reason to fail init. Just ignore the return value and
handle the tpm_remove_ppi gracefully if previous tpm_add_ppi didn't init
the variable...

   Stefan