List:       tortoisesvn-users
Subject:    Re: BUG: Says tried to modify a directory, but really was a file
From:       Stefan_Küng <tortoisesvn () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-11-26 8:11:47

On 25.11.2016 15:31, Matthias Bolliger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Using the latest released TortoiseSVN (1.9.4, Build 27285 - 64 Bit),
>
> I do a merge.
>
> The revision that I merge from consists only of simple changes to a few files (no \
> added or deleted files, and no folder changes at all).
> Two of the files, however, do not exist in the source folder.
>
> This situation, naturally, cannot be solved fully by SVN.
>
> This bug report is only about the wording in the conflict message. It now says (in \
> my example):
> "The last merge operation tried to modify the directory 'XLPAMacro.dfm', but the \
> file is missing locally (deleted or moved away?)."
> 1. It should say "the file", not "the directory", since it is a file.

Not sure exactly how you started the merge. But if a file doesn't exist
in the *source*, then svn can't know whether it is a file or directory.
So it assumes a directory.
Note that the merge conflicts depend on the source. And yes, you would
also get a conflict if a path in the source is a file and in the
destination is a directory - that's possible too.

> 2. Maybe (a suggestion), the tip "(deleted or moved away?)" could be enhanced to \
> "(deleted, moved away, or not yet created/merged?)".

"not yet created/merged" shouldn't happen.

did you try a merge manually by entering the file url as the source but
it didn't exist? I don't think that specific case is handled yet by svn.

Stefan

--
        ___
   oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"