List:       tortoisesvn-dev
Subject:    SV: Want to go offline?
From:       Hans-Emil Skogh <Hans-Emil.Skogh () tritech ! se>
Date:       2009-04-21 6:08:02

> > I'm from time to time having problems with the connectivity to one of the
> > repositories that I'm using.
> > I would propose to add a "Try again"-button to the "Want to go
> > offline?"-dialog.
> One of the potential issues is with intermittent failures:
> You cannot just retry be issuing the same request a second time.

Would it be possible to pass some kind of information to the "Want to go offline?" \
dialog about what dialog that it has been invoked from? In that case the dialog could \
be informed about whether "Try again" or "Cancel" was pressed when the "Want to go \
offline?" dialog was closed, and the handeling could be implemented in the calling \
dialog. (And if no error handeling is possible/sensible in a certain case, this could \
be passed to the "Want to go offline?" dialog as well so that the "Try again" button \
can be hidden.)
That is: Pressing "Try again" would be functionally equivalent to pressing <ESC>-<F5> \
in the case of the log dialog.

> On the other hand, the <ESC>-<F5> sequence should be quick enough not to
> disturb the workflow - provided that accelerators have been defined properly

Yes they are defined correctly. And I admit it's not that hard. But on the other hand \
it's not that obvious what to do if you aren't a power user. I imagine many users \
would end up repeatedly doing: "Cancel", close log dialog, right click file/folder \
"TortoiseSVN"->"Show Log" which is rather long winded.
> Plus you get a proper error message in case you care what went wrong.

That would be nice if it could be added to the "Want to go offline?" dialog as well. \
The nature of the error might influence your decision on whether to go "offline" or \
not.
Hans-Emil