List:       tor-talk
Subject:    [tor-talk] routing Pure Data messages over Tor
From:       Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2014-06-26 17:23:31

Hi list,
=A0=A0=A0=A0 I'm experimenting with sending messages over Tor using the pro=
gram Pure Data.=A0 Pure Data (or Pd) is a graphical programming environment=
.=A0 It typically runs two processes-- a tk GUI process, and the "main" pro=
cess.=A0 The two communicate over the loopback device 127.0.0.1.=A0 (Can't =
remember which port atm.)

Within the program, there are objects for sending and receiving messages ov=
er the net.=A0 So what I can do at the moment is this:
1) run Pd in -nogui mode in conjunction with 'usewithtor'.=A0 (In this mode=
, the tk GUI process never runs, so there is nothing to communicate over th=
e loopback device.)
2) make a Pd program listen for incoming messages on a hidden service port
3) make a Pd program connect to any onion addy I choose while the program i=
s running (or being built, since Pd is also a realtime IDE), and then send =
messages to it.
4) of course, make a program that does both simultaneously

That works!

Problem is when I run in gui mode, the GUI needs to talk to the main proces=
s over the loopback device.=A0 But when I do 'usewithtor', the loopback dev=
ice is tied up with Tor, and thus the main process can't communicate with t=
he GUI.

hdm on tor irc kindly suggested using torsocks in conjunction with socat, b=
ut the solution required hard-coding an onion addy with socat, and that doe=
sn't work for #3 above.=A0 (I want the ability to make connections to multi=
ple onion addys at once.)

Right now I'm just trying to chat with a few Pure Data users over Tor.=A0 B=
ut Pd is a realtime audio language, so ultimately we might be able to proto=
type some voice chat progs for use over Tor.

Best,
Jonathan
-- =