List:       tor-talk
Subject:    Re: [tor-talk] Exit/VPN payment and separation options
From:       "Martin Hubbard" <Martin.Hubbard () gmx ! us>
Date:       2011-12-30 22:18:31

On 2011-12-30, grarpamp wrote:

 [On 2011-12-28,John Case wrote:]
 > Alternatively, a pre-paid visa from somewhere like Simon malls, etc., works > >> \
Non in-country transactions may be denied along with other prepaid curiosities such \
as Netflix >> denials. Read the fine print. Be prepared to spend down any card buying \
groceries instead. I'm >> sure people would love to hear success stories.  I've had \
some success with Simon gift cards. However, any serious use (such as Amazon, Google \
checkout and VoIP accounts) requires confirmation by telephone. They call you, and \
you either enter a code from the webpage on the phone, or vice versa. That requires \
getting an anonymous cellphone, which must be activated by telephone. Pay phones are \
hard to find these days in the USA. Small towns seem to be the best bet. It's also \
good to have a voicemail-to-email account, given that you probably won't be answering \
that cellphone very much. You never use it from your home area, of course.

 You also need a snailmail address, and it must be valid. I've had good luck with \
recently-failed businesses, such as restaurants. It's not hard to find comments on \
food review websites. Also, some payment processors decline transactions made through \
VPNs, so you may need to visit a relatively distant city, and use a free WiFi \
hotspot. I typically use the same metro area for VPN exit IP, snailmail address, \
cellphone number and free WiFi hotspot. Be sure to spoof your WiFi MAC address \
(macchanger on Linux) before connecting. You can use your anonymous cellphone while \
you're there. I typically use anonymous TCP VPN through Tor through semianonymous UDP \
VPN.

 By the way, this identity is one that didn't work out very well, with many failed \
experiments that may have attracted attention. A little more won't hurt. \