List:       tor-dev
Subject:    [tor-dev] staking donations
From:       Jeff Burdges <burdges () gnunet ! org>
Date:       2021-03-25 9:53:10

I realize this would be the wrong part of the Tor project to which to suggest this, \
but I know the people on this list and I do not know the people elsewhere in Tor, and \
there is some small technical content here, so..

There are now a bunch of proof-of-stake cybercoins aka crypto-currencies, like \
polkadot by my employer, cosmos, cardano, etc.  As a rule, these have the property \
that people who own the currency for one reason or another can lock their currency to \
help deSybil some special nodes, usually called validators.  This earns them some \
rewards because doing so usually makes them liable for misbehavior of the validator.

This is very different from bitcoin where five guys in China and one guy in Island \
take all the rewards, and those six guys spend a lot of real money doing so.  Now \
quite a lot of people are claiming these reward, and the real work they are doing is \
running one server, or even merely saying "I know that dude and he seems okay".

This means a lot of people suddenly have an income stream on which they need to pay \
taxes, but for which the taxes are complex.  At least a few of these people do not \
yet stake because they do not yet know how to handle the taxes, like maybe they need \
time to set up a company or whatever.

At least a few of these should've a somewhat flexible key infrastructure like I had \
us do in polkadot, and in particular users can simply point their rewards at another \
address besides the one from which they stake.

If you're a non-profit that can avoid the tax complexities, then it'd be a good time \
to accept donations in these new crypto currencies, because aside from regular \
donation some people might just skip thinking about their own taxes for a while by \
point their rewards at someone like Tor who'd spend the money usefully.. at least \
temporarily.

I realize there might be other complexities of course, but if this were interesting \
then I could likely convince someone around here to implement some partial rewards \
division thing, which might enable people to contribute longer term.

Best,
Jeff