List:       tomcat-user
Subject:    AW: SAX 2.0, sealing, Tomcat 3.2.3
From:       "Nikolic Branislav" <niki () niki ! at>
Date:       2001-07-31 23:02:57

UNSUBSCRIBE!!!

-----Ursprungliche Nachricht-----
Von: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:craigmcc@apache.org]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 31. Juli 2001 23:35
An: 'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Betreff: RE: SAX 2.0, sealing, Tomcat 3.2.3

On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Bryan Rood wrote:

> Pier,
>
> I am interested in using a 4.0.something tomcat build.
>
> Are there official sources at apache that can confirm the "VERY_stable"
> declaration that you have made?
> My company won't let me use anything but a stable production release.
> Is the 4.0 the same as prod quality?
> thanks so much,

I'm one of the primary authors of Tomcat 4.0, so I've got some thoughts
about this (and undoubtedly some bias as well :-).

The only reason that 4.0 has not been declared final yet is that the
underlying specifications it is based on (Servlet 2.3 and JSP 1.2) are not
yet final.  In fact, small changes and clarifications are still going on,
and it would be pretty silly to declare 4.0 "final" and then have to go
change it because the specs changed underneath.

There will shortly be a "beta 7" release, to pick up the most recent
specification-related changes.  It should be considered a "release
candidate", and development efforts between now and release day will be
focused on bug fixes (at the moment, there are very few bugs recorded
against Tomcat 4 in the bug tracking system at
<http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/>) and improved documentation.

Craig McClanahan