List:       tomcat-user
Subject:    Monitoring and Tuning Tomcat
From:       Jerry Malcolm <techstuff () malcolms ! com>
Date:       2024-04-30 20:24:11

I'm trying to optimize my instance, CPU, tuning, and size requirements
for Tomcat.   It's easy to see CPU usage.   But this TC instance is
running a lot of microservices that are often in and out fairly
quickly.   So there can be a huge number of requests coming in.   I'm not
sure that CPU starving is my biggest concern. I'm more interested is
getting an understanding of TC front end bottlenecks and also JDBC data
connection bottlenecks.     So I need a bit of education.     Am I correct
that maxThreads on the connector throttles the number of requests that
can come in at one time?   And connectionTimeout is the time to wait to
get in the door if threads are maxed out before giving up and failing,
correct?   I'd really like to track total threads in use and then track
wait time if total threads are maxed out.   Likewise, with database
connections.   I'd like to monitor the jdbc connection pool as well and
see when and where the code is having to wait for a db connection and
how long the average wait is.   I assume there are jms hooks to monitor
this? But I don't want to reinvent the wheel.   Are there tools out there
to assist with this already? Thx