List:       tomcat-user
Subject:    Re: How do auth-method BASIC and DIGEST play together with some credential helper?
From:       Christopher Schultz <chris () christopherschultz ! net>
Date:       2022-11-16 12:17:28

Thorsten,

On 11/16/22 02:36, Thorsten Schöning wrote:
> Guten Tag Christopher Schultz,
> am Mittwoch, 16. November 2022 um 04:17 schrieben Sie:
>
>> You should double-check the definition of "compliant to CIS
>> benchmark spec" because there is no way in hell that HTTP DIGEST is
>> required.[...]
>
> The spec doesn't tell me exactly to use auth-method DIGEST, but their
> example configs and stuff use exactly that.
>
>> $ grep -i <login-config>[.\n]*<auth-method>DIGEST</auth-method>[.\n]*<realmname>
>> UserDatabase</realm-name>[.\n]*</login-config>
>> $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/manager/WEB-INF/web.xml
>
> And here it comes:
>
>> If a Realm exists without a digest attribute or without a value for
>> the digest attribute, this is a fail.

I see. This is a *super* old document, then. Because that suggests you
can use MD5 which is not acceptable as a hashing algorithm in 2022.

> That sentence is for Tomcat 9, in which that attribute has been removed
> as well already, didn't it? They don't even mention any credential
> handler possible in Tomcat at all, even those are superior than using
> the digest attribute.

Agreed. Tomcat 9 should still support "digest" simply due to Tomcat 9's
long history. I believe "digest" was only removed in Tomcat 10 a later.

> So this whole abstract seems broken in the CIS spec to me and I just
> needed to collect input how to deal with that. OTOH, thinking about
> it again, the customer says to run automatic CIS checks using some app
> and that didn't complain about auth-method BASIC yet. So using that
> with PBKDF2WithHmacSHA512 seems to be fine even more.

I should hope that, with an explanation, you will be able to get an
exemption for that rather outdated rule.

-chris