List:       tomcat-user
Subject:    RE: [External] Re: Apache Tomcat 8 - Require Tomcat configuration to restrict exe's from downloading
From:       "Scott,Tim" <Tim.Scott () oclc ! org>
Date:       2022-06-22 10:11:48

[Attachment #2 (text/plain)]

Hi all,

As a side note, can we all try not to have a URL with something like "abc.exe" in?

Several firewall implementations will refuse to navigate there, even though we all \
know the intention is not to have it download. Trying to explain that to some people \
is more difficult than avoiding the problem.

If it's just for a small number of people you know and that won't be a problem for \
them, then fine.

We use:
    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>cgi</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/theApp.exe</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

    <welcome-file-list>
        <!-- Use theApp as the default application -->
        <welcome-file>theApp.exe</welcome-file>
    </welcome-file-list>

This hides the "theApp.exe" from the browser so such firewalls never know / \
interfere.

Thanks,
Tim