List:       tomcat-user
Subject:    Re: how to tune cacheMaxSize
From:       Christopher Schultz <chris () christopherschultz ! net>
Date:       2021-08-18 16:25:31

Michael,

On 8/17/21 12:31, Michael Richardson wrote:

> Christopher Schultz <chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:
>      > Not at all. EC2 is entirely reasonable for such purposes. Amazon will
>      > even grant you a signed BAA if you ask for one.
>
> Canada is not the US, and OHIP has rules differently than others.

True, but several Quebecois Universities doesn't seem to have a problem
with Amazon Montreal. :)

> And the clinic would like to survive having our third-world telco go down.

LOL. At first, I was thinking "Amazon US" was the "third-world telco",
then it occurred to me that you meant your own connection :)

>      >> No, I'm not building myself.  There is an oscar.deb, which btw,
>      >> results in the same 100%.
>
>      > Okay, good. Does OSCAR distribute the .deb file? I'm ... weirdly
>      > surprised by that.
>
> OSCAR has a .deb that tries to be all singing, all dancing.
> It's not the only solution.

Well, privately-distributed .deb files are really just a "help" to
system admins, as long as the admin agrees with everything the packager
has done. It sounds like the .deb package is really built for dev-test
and not for production. Shame. You should ask them to offer both.

>      >> It also does other stuff like configure mariadb locally (which I don't
>      >> want).
>
>      > Interesting. You want control over your own database, or you don't want
>      > the db to be local (e.g. you want a remote db)?
>
> Exactly.
>
>      >> This is the only time I've seen this error, I've also used the manager
>      >> web application before.
>
>      > Hmm. Same error there? Or same 100% CPU circumstances there?
>
> Same 100% CPU.
>
>      >> I tried that.  It says something about there being no socket open.  My
>      >> impression is that "jstack" was an Oracle Java only tool.
>
>      > Nope, it's in all of the OpenJDK builds. You might need a "JDK" instead
>      > of a"JRE".
>
> okay, I'll try again and post the result.
>
>      > When you issue "kill -3", the thread dump should appear on stdout,
>      > which should be captured in logs/catalina.[date].log. If that's not
>      > happening, then I'm a bit confused...
>
> It's not happening.

/me is confused.

>      > Okay, try this:
>
>      > 1. Stop Tomcat, clear all logs, delete your oscar.war file and the
>      > exploded directory in CATALINA_BASE/webapps/oscar (or wherever your
>      > appBase points to).  2. Copy your oscar.war file into appBase, making
>      > sure that operation completes 3. Start Tomcat, but like this instead of
>      > what you usually do:
>
>      >    $ sudo -iu tomcatuser $ $CATALINA_BASE/bin/catalina.sh run
>
>      > That "run" is important: it will run Tomcat in the current console
>      > instead of in the background as a service. You'll get stdout directly
>      > on your console, no log files to worry about.
>
> okay.

The suspense is killing me.

BTW I'd be happy to continue helping-out via this mailing list for free,
at least until I get busy or lose interest. I'm also happy to consult
off-list for NOT free if you need that kind of attention. I have some
experience with production health care systems running on Tomcat +
MySQL/MariaDB.

-chris