List:       tomcat-user
Subject:    Re: Tomcat 5.5.17 migration to 6.0.53
From:       Christopher Schultz <chris () christopherschultz ! net>
Date:       2018-07-25 13:33:39

David,

On 7/24/18 1:22 PM, David Babooram wrote:
> -----Original Message----- From: Christopher Schultz
> [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net] Sent: Tuesday, 24 July 2018
> 12:41 PM To: users@tomcat.apache.org Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Tomcat
> 5.5.17 migration to 6.0.53
>
> David,
>
> On 7/24/18 10:54 AM, David Babooram wrote:
>> I will try to be as clear as possible.
>
> :)
>
>> The files that were originally in
>> /usr/local/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.17/webapps/MYAPP/WEB-INF/lib

were copied by default when I migrated the app to
>> /usr/local/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.53/webapps/
>
> Good, that's what you probably should have done.
>
>> When I ran MYAPP I got the error from my previous email.
>
>> I then mv all the files from
>> /usr/local/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.53/webapps/MYAPP/WEB-INF/lib
>> into a temp directory , in attempt to make it use the global lib
>> , but still the same error.
>
> Hmm. I'd expect lots of problems when removing all required
> libraries from your application.
>
> Did you copy the "work" directory from the Tomcat 5.5
> installation? (I'm guessing not.)
>
>> My next idea was to place the files from
>> /usr/local/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.53/webapps/MYAPP/WEB-INF/lib
>> into  /usr/local/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.53/lib , but with the
>> new structure I am unsure what belongs where.
>
> Definitely undo that... it's likely to break your Tomcat
> installation. You should basically never add anything other than
> maybe a JDBC driver to your CATALINA_BASE/lib directory. Definitely
> nothing application-specific.
>
> I'd recommend removing all the files from CATALINA_BASE/lib and
> re-extracting the distro package you downloaded just to reset
> things back to the way they were.
>
> ------------->
>
> ok I did not place it in CAT/lib yet so everything is in tact.
> However in the 5.5 there was a server/lib folder that has some jar
> files what do I do with these? I assume we need to put that in the
> /lib but not sure server/lib/ catalina-ant.jar      catalina.jar
> commons-modeler.jar       servlets-invoker.jar      tomcat-ajp.jar
> tomcat-http.jar catalina-ant-jmx.jar  catalina-optional.jar
> servlets-cgi.renametojar  servlets-ssi.renametojar  tomcat-apr.jar
> tomcat-jkstatus-ant.jar catalina-cluster.jar
> catalina-storeconfig.jar  servlets-default.jar
> servlets-webdav.jar       tomcat-coyote.jar  tomcat-util.jar

That is Tomcat itself, at version 5.5. Leave all that stuff there.
Nothing should be copied to the new installation.

>> FYI : in my original
>> /usr/local/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.17/common I have the
>> following directories
>
>> classes  endorsed  i18n  lib
>

>> activation.jar antlr-2.7.2.jar
>
> I think something got lost in the copy/paste. If you had files in
> the "common" loader in Tomcat 5.5 then you might have a bit of work
> figuring out which files are required by the application and which
> are expected to be supplied by the container (Tomcat).
>
> I'm going to attempt to group these files into 2 categories: things
> that ought to be in your web application's WEB-INF/lib directory
> and which files should be ignored (because Tomcat and/or the JVM
> should be supplying them). Here goes:
>
> 1. Files supplied by the JVM and/or Tomcat (and should be ignored
> from your old installation):
>
>> activation.jar         (Modern JVMs supply this)
>> el-api-2.2.1-b04.jar   (Tomcat is required to supply the EL
>> APIs)
>
> -------------->
>
> Both those files are not present in /lib directory, I recheck the
> extracted data, this is what is present in /lib
>
> ls lib annotations-api.jar  catalina-ha.jar  catalina-tribes.jar
> el-api.jar     jasper.jar   server           tomcat-coyote.jar
> tomcat-i18n-es.jar  tomcat-i18n-ja.jar catalina-ant.jar
> catalina.jar     ecj-4.3.1.jar        jasper-el.jar  jsp-api.jar
> servlet-api.jar  tomcat-dbcp.jar    tomcat-i18n-fr.jar
>
> A bit strange that you mention it should be in the /lib and its not
> there by default.

activation.jar is now included with your JRE. Well, it should be. What
version of Java are you running? If the answer isn't at least Java 8,
then you need to upgrade.

el-api.jar is supplied with Tomcat. At least, it's supplied with
modern, supported Tomcats. Another reason to abandon Tomcat 6?

Tomcat 6 is documented to support EL version 2.1 and your application
seems to need EL version 2.2 (or higher). Another reason to abandon
Tomcat 6?

> So I just moved activations.jar and el-api-2 to /lib and then
> place back all the webapps libs into its container lib directory ,
> and I THINK its working. At least I got the page to come up

That's good.

Have a look around your application to see if it will work.

If you followed my advice on using CATALINA_HOME versus CATALINA_BASE
and purging your conf/server.xml of extraneous garbage, it should be
trivial to simply *attempt* the same thing with Tomcat 8.5. Just
change the value for your CATALINA_HOME environment variable and see
what happens. Technically, the CATALINA_BASE/conf/server.xml needs to
change a little but it might actually start and your application might
actually work.

I really don't want you to waste your time 100% testing your whole
application on a version of Tomcat that isn't supported.

- -chris