List:       tomcat-user
Subject:    Re: TC Embedded: Some public binaries different from build output
From:       Christopher Schultz <chris () christopherschultz ! net>
Date:       2016-02-26 18:36:12

B,

On 2/26/16 1:16 PM, babsuca@yahoo.com.INVALID wrote:
> > The ASF does not control which patches a distribution chooses to back-port or the \
> > version scheme they choose to adopt.
>
> Ah.. Ok.
>
> > If you want exactly the software as provided by the ASF then you'll need to get \
> > it from the ASF.
>
> That was the source I referenced above; thus the confusion.
>
> I checked a couple of classes in the ASF jar and they show to be
> compiled with Java 7. I compiled with Java 8 so this might explain
> the difference.

That will certainly change things. Just like if you were to build two
separate Linux environments -- one Debian, one RHEL -- and then look at
the size of the "bash" binary. The same bash version would likely have
radically different file sizes based upon the same criteria: selected
bug fixes (which may or may not affect the official version number),
exact compiler/version used, optimization options, linker, and whether
debugging symbols had been left in/removed, etc.

-chris