List:       tomcat-user
Subject:    Re: Documentation on Connectors needs updating
From:       Christopher Schultz <chris () christopherschultz ! net>
Date:       2014-11-28 14:26:21

James,

On 11/28/14 5:50 AM, James Green wrote:
> Ref http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/connectors.html
>
> Those new to Tomcat will not know what a "connector" is. I presume
> it's the network protocol used to listen and respond to external
> requests...
>
> For HTTP it is suggested to use AJP clustering as performance is
> higher than that of mod_proxy.
>
> For AJP it talks of use in a single-server environment and how
> it's worse than that of HTTP, then for clustering to use AJP. It
> then says to use JK or mod_proxy with AJP.
>
> As the reader, I have no idea where to sit. First mod_proxy can be
> used but AJP ought to be for performance, yet you can use
> mod_proxy with AJP.
>
> I'm... Puzzled. Since I've not dealt with this beyond getting
> Apache to mod_proxy to the default Tomcat port 8080 before I'm in
> no position to clean this up I'm afraid but it looks like clarity
> is needed.
>
> Just my opinion.

Agreed, there are improvements to be made. Do you have any specific
suggestions (other than "please clarify all this")?

A quick response:

1. mod_proxy supports both HTTP and AJP protocols
2. mod_jk has more features than mod_proxy_ajp
3. Adding a reverse proxy in front of Tomcat will always add overhead
regardless of protocol. If you don't need a reverse proxy for anything
else, don't add one (i.e. remove httpd from the setup).
4. Tomcat can server static content just as quickly as httpd.

Hope that helps,
- -chris