List:       tomcat-user
Subject:    Re: multiple servers and digest authentication
From:       "Dehaudt, Christophe" <cdehaudt () ebay ! com>
Date:       2013-11-30 1:55:32

Hi,

Thanks for your answers:

1/ Sticky session : yes, that is the way I have currently set my load
balancer.
But there is a drawback when the client is contineoulsy using the service
=> because it will never been load balanced again.
The worst is when one of the server is stopped and restarted => all the
clients will be redistributed to the still alive servers,
And when the server is restarted, it will not picked up any load

To work-around this problem, with sticky session on , I have patched my
client to clear the sticky cookie every X minutes. That enforces the load
balancer to give me the less used servers (possibly the one that have been
restarted)

2/ front-end load balancer solution: my configuration is with an F5 load
balancer (citrix). From what I understand, the question is : can we
configure the F5 to manage the nonce and then delegate the authentication
to the servers (tomcat)- . It will require:
	F5 to manage the nonce (will send back the 401 when nonce not valid) but
not verify the user credential and pass that to servers

	Servers (tomcat) to not check the nonce but check the credential. I have
read the description of tomcatAuthentication flag from André's link, but
I'm not sure it does what I expect

Any idea if this is feasible from F5/tomcat point of views?
Any other suggestions? ;)

Thanks,

Xtof