List:       tomcat-user
Subject:    Re: HTTP cache control?
From:       Konstantin Kolinko <knst.kolinko () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-11-25 22:21:29

2013/11/25 Christopher Schultz <chris@christopherschultz.net>:
> On 11/25/13, 10:27 AM, David Bala=C5=BEic wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Considering that JSP pages are by definition dynamic (different on
>> each GET), why doesn't Tomcat set the HTTP headers in the line of
>> "do not cache this, it's dynamic!" by default for all generated
>> HTML (*.jsp files and servlet responses)?
>
> What about JSPs that produce (relatively) static stuff? Would you want
> Tomcat to tell the client to re-fetch that data every time? (Then we'd
> get questions about why Tomcat was doing that, of course.)

+1
Even if content is dynamic, there might be different caching
strategies. The caching interval may be different, such as several
minutes, 1 hour, 1 day or several months.

Tomcat sets headers that prevent caching for the content that is
protected by security constraints. The rest is up to you.

> It's trivial for you to add such headers yourself, and this is a
> decision best made by application authors and not the container. So,
> go ahead and exercise your right to determine how your own web
> application behaves and set those headers yourself. Don't want to edit
> all your JSPs? How about slapping a Filter in front of them instead?

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/filter.html#Expires_Filter

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko