List:       tomcat-user
Subject:    Re: [OT] Java +GC question
From:       Christopher Schultz <chris () christopherschultz ! net>
Date:       2013-11-25 19:31:38

Howard,

On 11/24/13, 10:52 PM, Howard W. Smith, Jr. wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 7:15 PM, André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>>
>>> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com] Subject: Java +GC
>>> question
>>>>

>>> java version "1.6.0_26"
>>>>

>>> Do we need to tell you to upgrade?
>>>

>> Whatever happened to the "Never change a running system" ?
>

> I usually hear it said like this, if it ain't broke, then don't fix
> it. :)

Sometimes, it's broke but you don't know it.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/security/alert-cve-2010-4476-305811.html

That bug was fixed in 2011 and there are reports (but Oracle closed
their bug database) that the bug was originally filed in 2001. Keeping
up-to-date is a good idea in most cases. Sometimes, there are even
bugs that are fixed silently.

There are patch versions of Tomcat that include fixes for security
vulnerabilities that are not announced (that is, the vulnerabilities
are not announced) until some time after the release. That is done so
that administrators have time to patch their systems before it's
disclosed that a particular vulnerability exists. Otherwise, admins
might have to sustain a period of time where the bad guys have
exploits but they haven't had time to stage, test, and deploy the
newer versions.

- -chris