List:       tomcat-user
Subject:    Re: Project will not build
From:       Mark Eggers <its_toasted () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2012-07-25 2:40:17

----- Original Message -----

In my experience, NetBeans is really good about not doing the wrong thing.

1. You define a dependency in your project on the server you've registered with the \
IDE

NetBeans will then add all of the jars found in CATALINA_BASE. This includes not only \
the standard jars, but things like JDBC drivers that you've added in there.

2. Do NOT make a WEB-INF/lib in your project

NetBeans will create that in the war file. If you need to add third party jars in \
your project, put them somewhere else and add the jars in \
Project->Properties->Libraries.

Better yet, use Ivy or Maven . . . . NetBeans supports both.

You can also add libraries / jars solely for testing, as well as adding them solely \
for compilation (but not packaging in the war file).

3. Netbeans offers lots of standard jars as packages (the standards.jar and \
taglibs.jar is one)

Use those instead of copying your own around.

4. NetBeans uses startup.bat / startup.sh

This means it behaves and uses setenv.bat / setenv.bat if found. Basically it's just \
like running Tomcat from the batch files / shell files.

In short, I've found that NetBeans is quite amenable to running stock Tomcat \
installations. I just untar or unzip a distribution, add the appropriate manager \
roles and user names (NetBeans will complain if you do not), edit setenv.[bat/sh] to \
generate JMX, and register it with NetBeans.

Log files end up where you expect, with the exception of catalina.out / \
catalina.[date].out, which is scrolled in two separate output windows.

. . . . just my two cents.
/mde/