List:       tomcat-user
Subject:    Re: High CPU Utilization
From:       Rainer Jung <rainer.jung () kippdata ! de>
Date:       2010-08-30 10:13:39

On 30.08.2010 11:47, Honey Bajaj wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have tomcat 5.5.9 running on CentOS 4.8, I have to restart my tomcat instance \
> every alternate day and after every 2 or 3 restarts I can see a high cpu \
> utilization (i.e. almost double of the normal) whereas there is no change in \
> application code and connectivity. The utilization remain high until I restart \
> tomcat instance, I tried comparing manager/jmxproxy output when things works fine \
> and when high utilization happens but didn't find any significant difference which \
> could lead to high processor utilization. Kindly suggest possible reasons or steps \
> to investigate.

1) Update to a recent version of Tomcat, e.g. 5.5.30 or 6.0.29.

2) Identify the thread numbers of the threads consuming CPU, using "ps"
and the appropriate flags on your platform to list individual
threads/lightweight processes.

3) Take a few consecutive Java thread dumps of the Java process and look
for the stacks of the thread in question. The decimal ID(s) retrieved by
2) are equal to the nid or tid (hexadecimal) in the header lines of each
thread stack.

Regards,

Rainer