List:       tomcat-user
Subject:    Re: When does Tomcat throw an OutOfMemory exception?
From:       Kees Jan Koster <kjkoster () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-11-30 20:03:54

Dear Chuck,

>> Actually, in such situations you get 'java.io.IOException: Too many
>> open files' or 'java.net.SocketException: Too many open files'. Not
>> an
>> OutOfMemory error.
>
> Only if it's related to an application-initiated action, such as
> opening a stream.  If FD exhaustion is detected during an internal
> JVM operation, that will often result in an OOME.

Oh, that is interesting. Thank you for correcting me. I guess they
needed a RuntimeException and picked OOME. Grepping through the
sources reveals that there are some other sources of OOME's too. I'd
have to look at them to see which resource is actually being depleted,
but it's a reminder to read the exception message with some attention.
--
Kees Jan

http://java-monitor.com/forum/
kjkoster@kjkoster.org
06-51838192

Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe
so full of wonders,
they have managed to invent boredom. Quite astonishing... -- Terry
Partchett