List:       tomcat-user
Subject:    Re: Problem with mod_proxy_ajp Connection Timeout
From:       Rainer Jung <rainer.jung () kippdata ! de>
Date:       2008-06-27 23:05:00

Plana, Richard schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Our Apache httpd proxy connects to the two tomcat servers
> (load-balanced) through a network device that performs NAT.
> Unfortunately, when the connections go idle (and it happens quite often
> since it's a currently low-volume application), the NAT box seems to
> lose the TCP session. The Apache httpd remains connected (ESTABLISHED
> using netstat), but the connection on the Tomcat servers aren't
> reflected on that end. Performing an "apachectl graceful" gets the
> server to re-establish the connection.
>
> I'm wondering what my options are to fixing this? I tried adding a
> ProxyTimeout 60 option, but that didn't seem to work. Is there a way to
> tell mod_proxy_ajp that if it's idle for a given amount of time to close
> the connection? (And establish a new one when a request comes in)

Look at

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html

especially search for "ttl" and "smax" for closing idle connections. In
addition "ping" helps in detecting broken connections. In order to use
ping, you should use httpd 2.2.9, because there have some recent fixes
with AJP ping in mod_proxy_ajp.

Regards,

Rainer