List:       tomcat-user
Subject:    Re: Installing Tomcat-5.5.25 in Solaris 10 (SPARC-64 bit)
From:       Rainer Jung <rainer.jung () kippdata ! de>
Date:       2008-06-27 11:16:03

Mark Thomas wrote:
> hareesh wrote:
>> I have downloaded Tomcat from the URL :
>> http://archive.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-5/archive/v5.0.5/bin/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.5.tar.gz
>>

>> After downloading I unzip it using 'gunzip . After that I untared it
>> using
>> GNU tar (gtar) . Now  the sample applications shipped with Tomcat is
>> working
>> fine.
>
> Glad it is working but that is quite an old version. If you can, move to
> the latest 5.5.x or 6.0.x

In addition: did you use gtar also when installing Tomcat 5.5.25? If you
did use the standard Solaris tar, it could be, that files were left out
of installation. Solaris tar and gnu tar have differing implementations
how to handle file with pathname+filename longer than I think 100
characters.

Regards,

Rainer