List:       tomcat-user
Subject:    RE: Blocking Proxy Access
From:       Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowther () melandra ! com>
Date:       2008-06-26 8:32:49

> From: samk@twinix.com [mailto:samk@twinix.com]
> It's to keep undesirables, who have been banned, off from a
> social networking site.

How on earth do you identify the undesirables in the first place?  For most users, \
all they need to do is clear the cookie cache and drop their broadband connection for \
long enough to be assigned a different IP address next time they connect.  Or just go \
to a different Internet café.  Voila - new identity!

Aside: I'm very familiar with the problem - I've run a MUD since 1990, which is an \
early form of social networking site.  We've had 18 years of trying to find a good \
solution to this problem.  We've never come up with a workable technical solution - \
they've *all* been human solutions involving better and faster moderation.  All the \
technical solutions we've devised have been trivial to bypass by any user who has the \
recipe - and, in these days of the Internet, it's very easy for one technically \
competent undesirable to publish the recipe and all the other idiots to follow it.

                - Peter