List:       tomcat-user
Subject:    Large HTML file not getting compressed despite compression enabled
From:       "Alex Epshteyn" <alexander.epshteyn () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-03-30 20:56:19

I have Tomcat's compression enabled:

               connectionTimeout="20000" disableUploadTimeout="true"
               compression="on"
               compressionMinSize="2048"
               noCompressionUserAgents="gozilla, traviata"
               compressableMimeType="text/html,text/xml,text/javascript,text/css"/>

It works as expected for all my resources (stylesheets, scripts, etc)
except for one static file, which has the extension .cache.html (in
case you're wondering, it contains scripts generated by GWT).  This
file is pretty large - about 150K, but Tomcat doesn't compress it for
some reason.

Here are the response headers for this file (I have a custom filter
that sets the cache headers prior to forwarding the request up the
chain):

Server	Apache-Coyote/1.1
Cache-Control	public, max-age=315360000
Expires	Wed, 28 Mar 2018 18:58:38 GMT
Etag	W/"136900-1206809984000"
Last-Modified	Sat, 29 Mar 2008 16:59:44 GMT
Content-Type	text/html
Content-Length	136900
Date	Sun, 30 Mar 2008 20:44:14 GMT

Here are the response headers for a file that gets properly compressed
(which also passes through the same filter):

Server	Apache-Coyote/1.1
Pragma	no-cache
Cache-Control	max-age=0, no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate
Expires	Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
Etag	W/"4869-1206809984000"
Last-Modified	Sat, 29 Mar 2008 16:59:44 GMT
Content-Type	text/javascript
Transfer-Encoding	chunked
Content-Encoding	gzip
Vary	Accept-Encoding
Date	Sun, 30 Mar 2008 20:44:14 GMT

I don't see any relevant errors in my log files.  I'm using Tomcat
5.5.26 on Linux.   As a strange twist, the file does get compressed
properly with Tomcat 5.5.26 on Windows.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Alex