List:       tomcat-user
Subject:    Re: Problem showing german characters
From:       Ingo Krabbe <ikrabbe.ask () web ! de>
Date:       2008-03-11 1:44:15

Am Dienstag, 11. März 2008 02:03:37 schrieb Stasa Jerinic:
> Hallo,
>
> I save some application specific settings in file, that will be readed from
> application. This file contains parameters that can contain german special
> characters like Ö, Ä, Ü, ß etc.
>
> I tested my application under windows 2000 professional with Tomcat 5.0 and
> under Linux and the german specific characters are shown correct. But by
> customer, that is running this web-application under Linux the german
> special characters are not shown correct, but they are replaced with other
> signs. The customer set the system variable LANG=en_US.UTF-8 (where is the
> file under linux where I can set the system variables?) and under Apache
> LANG=de_DE.UTF-8, as well as under Tomcat LANG=de_DE.UTF-8,
> NLS_LANG=german_germany.utf8.
>
> Are the settings wrong, so that the customer cann't see correct the special
> german characters or is there somer other trouble?

Its not enough to set the systems LANG/Tomcat LANG and so on, but you need to
include that in your HTTP headers too (<meta HTTP_EQUIV> tags and jsp
content-type settings in the pages).  Each page can have its own content type
and the clients like to change it.  Also you can tune apache with some config
setting to apply utf-8 encoding as the default but I don't remember the exact
syntax.