List:       tomcat-user
Subject:    Sharing an object between two webapps
From:       Kaspar Fischer <fischerk () inf ! ethz ! ch>
Date:       2007-11-23 16:07:31

Hi everybody,

I need to share an object between two webapps A and B. How can I
accomplish this?

My first webapp, A, has a class SharedObjectHolder with a static
public member:

  public class SharedObjectHolder {
   public static Object objectToShare;
   public void setObjectToShare(Object objectToShare)
   {
     SharedObjectHolder.objectToShare = objectToShare;
   }
  }

and my webbapp A calls setObjectToShare(...). After this, webapp B does

   System.err.println(SharedObjectHolder.objectToShare);

and this is null. The same statement in webapp A returns something
nonnull.

Looking at http://www.nabble.com/Object-sharing-tf1652024.html#a4475590,
it seems that two instances of SharedObjectHolder exist. Is this
correct?

How can I tell Tomcat to not create two instances but use the same from
both webapp A and webapp B?

I guess this is related to classloaders, but do not know how to proceed.

Thank you very much for any hint!

Kaspar