List:       tomcat-user
Subject:    Re: Use port 443 as non-ssl
From:       Jason Bainbridge <jbainbridge () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-08-22 18:18:01

On 8/22/05, Markus Schönhaber <mailing-tomcat-user@schoenhaber.de> wrote:
> Am Montag, 22. August 2005 17:54 schrieb Jason Bainbridge:
> > On 8/22/05, HHidvegi@apgconsulting.com.ar <HHidvegi@apgconsulting.com.ar>
> wrote:
> > > Hi, I need to use the tomcat with a non - ssl connector on port 443.
> > > Up to now, no success. Is there a way to use the 443 in a non-ssl? Im not
> > > using the ssl (it is between <!-- -->).
> >
> > I don't think browsers will let you do that,
>
> Why shouldn't they? In fact, they do.
>
> > it would be a bit of a
> > security risk to say the least...
>
> Could you please explain that?

I blame monday-itis, I must have killed a few brain cells too many
over the weekend. :)

Of course that statement was wrong and justg running the standard http
connector on port 443 should be fine, of course unless you are on a
*nix based operating system where ports 1024 and below are privileged
and need one of the workarounds.

Regards,
--
Jason Bainbridge