List:       tomcat-user
Subject:    SOLUTION Re: can't find javac tomcat 5.0.30 jdk1.5.0
From:       "D. Stimits" <stimits () comcast ! net>
Date:       2004-11-30 21:15:36

D. Stimits wrote:
> Shapira, Yoav wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Try to set JAVA_HOME and CATALINA_HOME explicitly in your
>> $CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh file, to see if that makes a difference.
>

> This was one of the first things I tried. I explicitly set JAVA_HOME and
> CATALINA_HOME as a test. It is looking for javac in
> /opt/jdk1.5.0/bin/javac, and failing to find it, so it is looking in the
> right place (maybe with eyes closed).

I found a solution...though I still am not sure of why it failed before.
Instead of hard coding CATALINA_HOME and JAVA_HOME into the various
shell scripts, I added bin/setenv.sh and used export JAVA_HOME and
export CATALINA_HOME there. Combined with "classic" compiler setting (I
was trying this before it didn't help without the setenv.sh) it now
works. In reality it currently has the settings in all of the .sh files,
I have not tested after removing it from those, but the magic seems to
be setenv.sh, it seems it propagates the environment in some way that
the same export statements fail to do from the other files:

#!/bin/sh

export JAVA_HOME="/opt/jdk1.5.0"
export CATALINA_HOME="/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-5.0.30"