List:       tomcat-user
Subject:    tomcat using nis for realm authentication
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-05-19 7:43:45

Hi,

I've got a problem with a tomcat 4.1.30. I want a webapp to use a
JNDIRealm for authentication which in turn uses NIS for authenticating
the user. But this doesn't work, I cannot login using correct password
and username.

server.xml looks like this for the Realm:

<Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm"
                connectionURL="nis://$server/$domain/user"
		contextFactory="com.sun.jndi.nis.NISCtxFactory"
                debug="99"/>

where $server and $domain are the NIS Server and the domain for
authentication.

The web.xml of the webapp has this for the authentication:

<security-constraint>
	<web-resource-collection>
		<web-resource-name>test</web-resource-name>
		<url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
	</web-resource-collection>
	<auth-constraint>
		<role-name>student</role-name>
	</auth-constraint>
</security-constraint>

<login-config>
	<auth-method>BASIC</auth-method>
	<realm-name>test</realm-name>
</login-config>

According to the Realm HOWTO and the few Information about NIS over
JDNI this should be correct and it's also not tomcat not finding the
ContextFactory for nis, I tested with a small servlet.

What I'm not sure about are the parameters for the Realm like roleBase
userBase and those.

Thanks for any hints.

Andreas

--