List:       tomcat-user
Subject:    Re: Alternate password encyption code?
From:       "Phil Steitz" <phil () steitz ! com>
Date:       2003-05-31 16:24:50

Jeff Sexton wrote:
> On Thu, 29 May 2003, Raible, Matt wrote:
>
>>Why don't you just have the JDBCRealm do it - add digest="SHA".
>

> I need something other than SHA, I need to use my own custom code for an
> encyrption method of my own that is not provided by JDBCRealm
>

>>To programmatically do it using form-based authentication, I've used a
>>LoginServlet that's mapped to "auth" in my login.jsp's form.  In this
>>servlet, I encrypt the password and redirect to "j_security_check" - is that
>>what you're looking for?
>

> Maybe.  I'll do some reading about form-based authentication.  I'm not
> sure.
>
> I'm after this because I already have set up a JDBCRealm based system,
> with BASIC authentication, and SHA, under Tomcat for both servlets and
> cocoon stuff.  Now I want to tie this together with another application
> that encypts passwords differently from any method available in JDBCRealm.
>
> I have the code for the encyption.  If I could simply drop this code into
> the user validation JDBCRealm does for me in Tomcat, it'd be great because
> the security would all work and I wouldn't have to create any
> user/password management pages of my own.

Based on the documentation here

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/realm-howto.html#Digested%20Passwords

and a quick look at the sources here

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/
share/org/apache/catalina/realm/JDBCRealm.java?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/plain

it does not look to me like you are going to be able to do this without
hacking the JDBC Realm implementation.  The tomcat JDBC Realm
implementation supports digested (*not* encrytped) passwords using
java.security.MessageDigest to do the hashing.  This means that the
hashing must be performed using one of the standard algorithms specified
here
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/docs/guide/security/CryptoSpec.html#AppA

You are probably best off going with one of the approaches that Matt has
outlined if you want to serve login pages from the tomcat nodes.

Phil