List:       tomcat-dev
Subject:    Re: Tomcat 4.1.36 / .37 cant compile jsp on NetWare
From:       Mark Thomas <markt () apache ! org>
Date:       2008-03-31 6:30:03

Guenter Knauf wrote:
>> Mark Thomas wrote:
>> Options for a work-around are:
>> - Try a later JVM. If the test case below works - you should be OK.
> SP7 JVM is latest.
Scratch that option then.

>> - Use an older version of Ant. Ant was upgraded to keep up to date rather
>> than for a specific big fix so again, you should be OK.
> ok, that's what I did to make it working.
Great. I think this is the simplest option in the short term.

>> - Patch Tomcat. You'll need to add a few getCanonicalPath() calls.
> Tomcat? Not Ant?
Either would work. You just more likely to get help with Tomcat on this list ;)

>> We could patch Tomcat but generally I am against patching to work around
>> someone else's bug unless we absolutely have to.
> agreed, and will try to see what I get back from Novell.
OK.

>> As an aside, the Tomcat 4 install with NetWare 6.5 SP7 is a complete mess.
>> There are multiple versions of the same libraries present and if you try
>> enabling the http connector it fails with a NoSuchMethod exception. A
>> little digging showed that the connector jars are from multiple versions
>> of Tomcat 4 and are not compatible with each other.
> whoups?!
Indeed.

>> If you do want to use Tomcat on NetWare then you will probably need to
>> install a fresh version from Apache rather than trying to use the NetWare
>> one.
> Sure, that's what most of us always do - download from Apache and leave the Novell stuff as is;
> and just launch ower own TC instance; but just that fails now because of the issue you just found.
Given the current state of the Novell provided instances, I don't blame you.

> I'll try to find someone responsible at Novell - please if possible dont delete yet
> your NetWare VM, they might have questions or such which I probably cant answer...
OK. I'll hang on to it. Disk space is cheap. Feel free to point them in
this direction if they need more info although the test code should be all
they need.

> thanks very much for looking into this issue!
You're welcome.

Mark