List:       tomcat-dev
Subject:    Re: [VOTE] 5.0.9 stability rating
From:       "Bill Barker" <wbarker () wilshire ! com>
Date:       2003-08-27 5:50:13

----- Original Message -----
From: "Amy Roh" <amyroh@apache.org>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 12:11 PM

> Remy Maucherat wrote:

> >> No Problem.  I just committed the updates.  Let me know if there is
> >> additional updates or if I missed/overlooked anything.
> >

> > The changes are a bit more complex than what you did. The new syntax is:
> >
> > HTTP/1.1:
> >
> >     <Connector port="8080"
> >                maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25"
maxSpareThreads="75"
> >                enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443"
acceptCount="100"
> >                debug="0" connectionTimeout="20000"
> >                disableUploadTimeout="true" />
> > (the thread pool configuration changed, basically)
> >
> > AJP/1.3:
> >
> >     <Connector port="8009"
> >                enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" debug="0"
> >                protocol="AJP/1.3" />
> > (ie, no thread pool configuration here)
> >
> > Please don't add get/set on the CoyoteConnector class itself (we're
> > trying to avoid that, as it's protocol dependent; you can look at Bill's
> > patch - which I reverted for performance reasons, but which did the
> > right thing on principle). IMO, you should add those to the
> > ConnectorMBean, and use get/setProperty. What do you think ?
>
> I thought we're moving away from using *MBean classes and instead using
> the actual class for management implementation.  But I see that why we
> want to avoid the getters and setters from the class due to protocol
> dependency.  We can definitely move the getters/setters into a
> ConnectorMBean as long as modeler keeps supporting extending class
> mbean.  I can either update o.a.c.mbeans.ConnectorMBean and use it or
> put the ConnectorMBean in the coyote directory with the mbean-descriptor
> and the Connector class.  I'll need to update admin to represent thread
> pool configuration changes.
>
> Amy

Yeah, I know that this is a six-hour-stale message ;-).  The Connector has
become somewhat of a special case, so it probably merits getting it's own
intelligent MBean.  There are properties that make sense on one Connector
(e.g. maxKeepAliveRequest on HTTP/1.1, but not on AJP), and default values
that are wildly different (e.g. connectionTimeout, which should be enabled
to a short value on HTTP/1.1, and disabled on AJP).

I attempted to implement this in the Connector class, but as Remy pointed
out, it's not practical given the need to access attributes in the critical
path.  So, the Connectors need a custom MBean to allow JMX to be able to
configure them correctly.

If you need help in implementation, I'm more than happy to lend a hand ;-).
Point of fact was that I was assuming that I would be making the changes
you've made myself.

> > Remy

["disclaimer.txt" (text/plain)]

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) listed above as the \
intended recipient(s), and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and \
CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are not an intended recipient, you may not read, copy, or \
distribute this message or any attachment. If you received this communication in \
error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and then delete all copies of this \
message and any attachments.

In addition you should be aware that ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail sent through the \
Internet is not secure. Do not send confidential or sensitive information, such as \
social security numbers, account numbers, personal identification numbers and \
passwords, to us via ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail.