List:       toasters
Subject:    RE: Toasters and WINS
From:       "Fox, Adam" <Adam.Fox () netapp ! com>
Date:       2001-03-30 14:56:32

> We are migrating users to a Windows 2000 domain.  Wondering
> if anyone has
> run a Netapp in a Win2k environment without WINS?  We will
> probably try to
> add the domain, and domain crontroller entries to the toaster
> hosts file?

I hadn't seen an answer to this yet (maybe I missed it) so
excuse me if this is a repeat.

You can run a filer without a WINS server under 2 conditions.

1.  If the domain controller is on the same subnet/vlan, the
filer will broadcast for one and can find it that way.

2.  Under ONTAP 6.1 (just released) we will talk more like a
native W2K box.  We can get our info from a Microsoft W2K DNS
server which has been extended by MS to answer the query
"Where is a DC for Domain <X>?"  This is one of the ways
MS got rid of WINS.  They just pushed this functionality to
their DNS servers.  The only caveat is that if you do this
you must point the filers to MS W2K DNS servers.  Non-MS DNS
servers don't support these calls.

Hope this helps.

-- Adam Fox
NetApp Professional Services, NC