List:       toasters
Subject:    Re: metro under high latency
From:       Michael Bergman <michael.bergman () ericsson ! com>
Date:       2016-03-30 19:27:24

Paul Flores wrote:
> you will want your aggr option for free_space_realloc=on, I think, if you
> want to ensure that free space stays happy for the future.  TR-3929
> 'Reallocate Best Practices Guide' has all the gory details.

I have a copy of TR-3929. It's the latest to my knowledge, and from June
2012. Caveat lector!
It does contain a no of details on how to run reallocate, and a bit about
what it does. It's very sketchy though, and there's lots of things you
really should now -- more recent knowledge from the field (among others
created by yours truly over the past 24 months).

That said: yes, definitely you want free_space_realloc=no_redirect
(very likely that's what you want in most scenarios, not "on" but need to
understand the exact use case scenarios on the Filer in Q!)
on all Aggregates and you want that set from start when they're pristine.

If not, then you *must* suffer a complete blkrealloc phase of a reallocate
start -o -A <aggr_name> first and *immediately* when the blkrealloc phase
has finished, set free_space_realloc={no_redirect|on}

/M