List:       toasters
Subject:    RE: Cifs administrative access push to the entire qtree
From:       "Borzenkov, Andrei" <andrei.borzenkov () ts ! fujitsu ! com>
Date:       2015-09-18 7:19:39

> > 	You could try setting inheritable ACE on top-level directory. As
> > long as users did not add explicit Deny entries or did not block
> > inheritance it should suffice. Note that explicit denials always
> > override explicit grants, so just adding ACE may not be sufficient
> > anyway.
> >

> I don't know whether they did anything explicitly.  Unfortunately it
> doesn't let us see any permissions or settings.  My account is a domain
> admin and I'm also in the administrators group on the filers.

You can use "fsecurity show" on filer to dump current ACL. Could you paste example \
for one of inaccessible files?

Did you try setting top-level inheritable ACE? It should not override any ACL on \
contained files.

> We looked into this, but not having permissions to a variety of sub-
> directories the icacl command doesn't see into these directories.  We
> could try to force permissions down the trees, but even if it works,
> we're potentially adding or removing access to groups currently being
> hidden.  We're reluctant to blindly do this.
>

> > 	But it may not work if access to folders/files is blocked. In this
> > case it is possible to create task that runs as e.g. SYSTEM to do it.
> >

> Would you elaborate on this?  Where would this job run from and how
> would it end up with access?

Sorry, I was wrong here. It is possible to do it on Windows (running job as SYSTEM \
account) but of course it won't help when accessing something over network.