List:       toasters
Subject:    RE: vmware on nfs stability issues
From:       "Willeke, Jochen" <Jochen.Willeke () wincor-nixdorf ! com>
Date:       2008-03-26 16:10:35

Hi toasters,

don't know what experience you have made with the netapp way to deal
with the timeouts under linux. We had the problem with SLES9 SP3 systems
running on ESX with netapp storage. Every time we had a cluster-takeover
on a pair of filers hosting storage with vmwares in it (e.g. during
ontap updates) the SLES9 systems did have read-only disks.

I did it the vmware-way and installed a new mpt-scsi driver
(mptscsi-gosd-3.02.62-2vmw.i386.rpm) which can be download from vmware.
After the installation you only have to reastablish the link of the
initrd to the new one (the old one is still present, of course) and
reboot the machine.

Works like a charme and seems more smooth than doing the udev-thing.

Best Regards

Jochen