List:       toasters
Subject:    Re: Performance impact of in-lined firewalls/IDS
From:       Jack Lyons <jack1729 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-03-21 1:37:05

As food for thought.

We recently implemented 8 VMs on ESX 3.0 on NFS on a filer.

Everything was working fine, but we decided to implement a "Storage
VLAN" for ISCSI and NFS traffic.

While getting ready to implement this we discovered that the NFS traffic
was traveling on our VMOTION network which was firewalled off by a linux
based firewall (IPChains, RHEL 3).

Whats if even more interesting is that this linux based firewall was a
VM on another standalone ESX 2.5.4 host running on a PowerEdge 2650 with
4GB RAM with 8 other VMs running.

So the point is - it can work but I doubt it could sustain high throughput.

Jack