List:       toasters
Subject:    Re: spares disks no more equivalent from one filer to another one
From:       Davin Milun <milun () cse ! Buffalo ! EDU>
Date:       2004-11-10 22:15:53

At 14:33, on Oct 26, 2004, Stephane wrote:
> Derek Lai wrote:
>
> >I will not work either with just a simple spares_zero command (which
> >only zeros a spare). The problems is DataOntap will refuse to put the drives
> >into the system. You have to completely rewrite the label on the drive. To
> >do so requires that you reboot and drop into the maintenance menu and then
> >pick the option to re-label the drive.
> >
> yes, type ^C at boot, but instead of choosing "maintenance mode" choice
> 5, choose "zeroing all disk" choice 4
> this my workaround : this erase all label on all disk (and all data so
> beware)
> zeroing doesn't have to terminate, run it only for 5 or 15 minutes

Does anyone know if the "label" command from "priv set diag" can be used
(running from a pre-6.5 filer)?
Is anyone willing to share the syntax for that command, as I don't have
a non-production filer to play on.

Basically, I have 3 disks that were inadvertently inserting into a box
running 6.5 - and I'd like to reclaim them for use under 6.4, but
without having to have a head down in maint mode to do so.

Thanks.
Davin.
--
Davin Milun    Email:  milun-at-cse.Buffalo.EDU     milun-at-acm.org