List:       toasters
Subject:    Re: Zeroing out disks
From:       Dirk Schmiedt <Dirk.Schmiedt () munich ! netsurf ! de>
Date:       2004-07-30 22:30:15

Hello Chris, hi Toasters

>>If your focus is on data destruction:
>>
>>If you really want to wipe the old data for data security reasons you should
>>buy a "sanitation" license from NetApp to have a legally approved wipe out
>>process.  disk sanitize start ...
>>

>"Legally approved" ?

"Almost" legally approved: The Sysadmin Storage Management Guide pdf,
Chapter 5) Disk Management, p.233 informs us:
NetApp ONTAP disk sanitation is compliant to U.S. DoD and DoE security
requirements.
You, as an inhabitant of the "51st state of america" ;-), and probably
native english speaker can interpret this better than I can do.

>The description in the man page doesn't sound all _that_ strong:
>
>| If no patterns are specified, the default is 3 using pattern 0x55
>| on the first pass, 0xaa on the second, and 0x3c on the third.

The manpage and the Storage MG differ at ONTAP 6.5.1R1:
The Storage Management Guide pdf says: 6 cycles with these three pattern
are the default behaviour.
The manpage of "disk" talks about just one single default cycle with
those three different patttern which definitely would be not be enough.

I could not check the correctness of the value in the Storage MG yet,
because these activities are invisible at the "statit" disk analysis,
and the disk sanitation only shows the progress in % not in cycles.

=> If somebody is really interested in the (current) truth:
Please measure the time needed to wipe it with -c 1, -c 2, ... and
without any "-c X" to find out the real (current) default number of
cycles. :-)
I didn't have the time/need to do so yet.

Or maybe just a netapp engineer can clarify the default cycle value?

>Colleagues? (I presume). It's the litigious users I would be worried
>about, not my colleagues...

You guessed right. I meant colleagues. (I should not be sitting at the
keyboard after twelve hours of giving NetApp lectures in a foreign
language.)
b.t.w. If you flood the network unnecessary, they all will try to kill
you (imho). Even if they are not your colleagues. :-) Even I would do
so. ;-)

Smile & regards!
Dirk