List:       toasters
Subject:    Port Linux to F330, was RE: Newbie
From:       "Henry Black P.E." <henry () baypatent ! com>
Date:       2004-07-29 18:19:38

The first F330 head I tried (I have a pile of them) was, it turns
out, DOA, it did not even initilize the LCD successfully.
The second one started talking on the console port instantly as
a DCE at 9600N1.

So reading the archives I gather that NetApp does not
want their software run by hobbyists on vintage hardware.
They don't want it, so I won't do it, their loss (of
at least goodwill) - as well as mine.

So since I won't be using prepackaged software solutions
I popped the lid, out of curiousity and to assess scrap value.
(Anyone want to buy F330 parts? :-).  Anyway, it sure looks
like a Pentium 90 to me and I have somewhere in the cave a
hardware debugger for those things.  So I certainly know
enough about it the create a floppy bootloader and tty driver.

At this point it occurs to me that since I've never touched any NetApp
software or docs I'm "clean-room clean" to build a loader to bring an
untainted Linux port up on the toaster-beast.

The F330 sure looks like solid hardware to run Linux on and if NetApp
doesn't want their software used then Linux seems a good way
to salvage residual value in obsolete old filer hardware.

Problem is that, though I know firmware level Pentium, I don't know
Linux kernels.  I suppose I could learn but would anyone else be
interested in a project?

Better yet how about funding for commercialized (proprietary) Linux
port components?

I live in Northern California, and curse letting my best email address out
onto this list, only a matter of time before it gets spammed:-(

Henry