List:       toasters
Subject:    mcafee virus scanner license
From:       "Jeff Burton" <jburto1 () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-03-09 17:08:16

I am looking at moving many Windows home directories and department shares
over to the NetApp from Windows file clusters and everything is going smooth
except the cost for virus scanning.  McAfee wanted to charge us per user
account at our company, since they could all technically access the server.
Since we have about 70K people and probably >80K accounts, that is quite
expensive even with the 2 digit cost per client.  They have now agreed to
charge us per user account that is actually accessing the NetApp, which is
still outrageously expensive even with 10K users.  Is this how all virus
scanning software is licensed (per user) for the NetApp?  It's going to be
hard to sell a >100K cost to scan a NetApp when the Windows file servers
cost, what, $5/per no matter how many users.

Thanks,
Jeff