List:       toasters
Subject:    RE: Vol/qtree/dir/file snapshots (was Re: DataONTAP 6.2) ORACLE D
From:       Joe Luchtenberg <joe.luchtenberg () data-line ! com>
Date:       2002-03-29 16:50:29

I think Chris' point has more merit than you give credit, Quentin.  There
are many issues to consider, including segregating the root volume, parity
disks, costs of additional shelves/cabinetry/head units, etc.  Granted the
cost of disk capacity does not scale linearly.  However, if you're not using
the additional capacity in a volume (30GB database on a volume of 5-6 72GB
drives, as in Chris' scenario) - and there may be very good reasons for this
- then big drives are definitely not the most cost-effective way to scale
capacity.
Qtree-level SnapMirror and/or file-level SnapRestore may solve some of these
issues related to capacity management, allowing you to put more databases on
the same volume.  Even still, it would be nice to have an internal 2x9GB
volume (maybe even with solid state disks!) to serve as root, rather than
"wasting" 72GB drives and shelf slots.

Just musing...

Joe

Joe Luchtenberg