List:       toasters
Subject:    Re: DataONTAP 6.2
From:       mds () gbnet ! net (Mark Simmons)
Date:       2002-03-29 1:14:37

On Thu 28 Mar, 2002, Brian Tao <taob@risc.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Steve Losen wrote:
> >
> > Does ONTAP link the snapshotted blocks back into the live filesystem
> > or does it just copy the file from the snapshot creating a new file
> > in the live filesystem?
>
>     I believe the former is correct (if the operation is analogous to
> volume SnapRestore).  The advantage here is that I can now tell my
> DBAs they can roll back selected .dbf's, each 2GB in size, in a matter
> of seconds.  How long would it otherwise take you to copy each 2GB
> file out of snapshots over NFS?  2 minutes?  3 minutes?  :)

Key advantage isn't speed, it's viability.

On full filers a snaprestore in-place (by linking blocks from an old
consistency point back into the live structures) means your very large
file only takes space equivalent to its contents, which can make the
difference between possible and not possible.

This is another feature I asked for years ago, back when we were moving
from FAS1400s through F[23][123]0s to F540s. My how time passes.

--
-Mark                   ... an Englishman in London ...