List:       toasters
Subject:    RE: Toasters - How can one forward auditlog events to syslog
From:       "Perry, Jay" <Jay.Perry () netapp ! com>
Date:       2002-03-26 19:29:12

A while back, Alek asked if there was a way to forward
auditlog events to a syslog.  Since that time, we
(Alek and I) have come up with a solution that is
available on the NOW website as a Knowledgebase
solution titled "How do I forward audit log messages
to a syslog log host?" (solution ID ntapcs5526).

For those that don't have NOW access, I am posting it
here as well.  Alek has had this in production for
a while now (about a month), and as far as I know
it is working out OK (although it required some
new filtering, as the auditlog messages are much
more verbose than the syslog messages - multiple
lines and so forth).

To set this up, you must modify the syslog.conf
file on the loghost and the /etc/syslog.conf file on
the filer or NetCache appliance that is the source
of the messages.  (For more information about the
filer's syslog.conf file, see the respective
Data ONTAP man page).

Here are detailed steps:

1) On the log host, modify syslog.conf as follows:

   Add a line:
     local7.*[one_or_more_tabs][path_to_log_file]

   Basically, the auditlog messages will arrive as
   facility local7.

2) Make sure that any selectors of the form *.<level>
   get changed to *.<level>;local7.none.  Otherwise
   those selectors will receive all of the audit log
   messages as well.

3) After completing your changes to syslog.conf on
   the log host, force the syslog daemon to reload
   its configuration file (on many systems this will
   involve sending a HUP signal to a process called
   syslogd). Refer to your log host's OS manuals for
   details on how this is done for your particular OS.

4) Modify the filer's /etc/syslog.conf file as follows:

   Add a line:
      cmdsaudit.auditlog[one_or_more_tabs]@[loghost_ip_or_name]

   The filer will automatically detect the change
   to syslog.conf and load it. This may take a couple
   of minutes though.  You will know the change took
   place because a syslog message will appear that
   looks like:

   Wed Feb 20 21:58:52 GMT [syslogd:info]: syslogd: restarted

It is worth noting that audit log messages are much
more verbose than syslog messages.  A typical syslog
entry is a single line.  A typical audit log entry
looks like:

   date [method of access] :START:command incoming hostname
   date [method of access] :IN:command "input" command being sent to filer
   date [method of access] :OUT: output from command (may be multiple lines)
   date [method of access] :END:command

Hope you find this useful, and thanks to Alek for
helping out with this!

Jay Perry
jay.perry@netapp.com