List:       tmda-workers
Subject:    Malformed addresses
From:       Bob Rogers <rogers-tmda () rgrjr ! dyndns ! org>
Date:       2005-05-22 22:40:44

   Recently, I have been encountering two issues related to malformed
addresses in spam:

   1.  The exception shown below shows sendmail (really qmail) choking
on the address "Notification: We offer low rates".  I don't have the
message that caused this any more, but I believe that a single spam
addressed to a bunch of old addresses resulted in a total of more than
300 retries before qmail gave up.  If the sender address isn't
RFC821-compliant, then perhaps TMDA shouldn't try to send a confirmation
request.  (You could argue that qmail shouldn't accept such messages in
the first place, which is reasonable, but it seems to me that TMDA
should still handle sendmail failures, rather than clogging the incoming
queue.)

   2.  Over the past 6 months, I've been noticing spam with empty
envelope sender addresses, i.e. that look like bounces.  Many of these
seem to have malformed "From:" addresses, i.e. "<@foo.org>".  I know
this would be only a stopgap, but it would be nice to have a way of
catching these before the "from <> ok" that I use to accept bounces.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem possible to use regular
expressions to detect a bad address, as I don't see a way to invert the
sense of the match.

   Unfortunately, I am not Python-savvy enough to code up a solution to
either of these.  Do they sound like the right thing?

					-- Bob Rogers
					   http://rgrjr.dyndns.org/

Uncaught Python 2.3+ Exception (Tue May 17 00:19:11 2005):
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/tmda-filter", line 53, in ?
    execfile(os.path.join(execdir, 'tmda-rfilter'))
  File "/usr/bin/tmda-rfilter", line 891, in ?
    main()
  File "/usr/bin/tmda-rfilter", line 887, in main
    do_default_action(default_action, 'action_incoming', bouncetext)
  File "/usr/bin/tmda-rfilter", line 471, in do_default_action
    bouncegen('request')
  File "/usr/bin/tmda-rfilter", line 772, in bouncegen
    send_bounce(bounce_message, mode)
  File "/usr/bin/tmda-rfilter", line 442, in send_bounce
    ar.send()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/TMDA/AutoResponse.py", line 227, in send
    self.recipient, Defaults.BOUNCE_ENV_SENDER)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/TMDA/Util.py", line 575, in sendmail
    pipecmd(cmd, msgstr)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/TMDA/Util.py", line 395, in pipecmd
    raise IOError, \
IOError: failure delivering message to command "('/usr/sbin/sendmail', '-i', '-f', \
'', '--', 'Notification: We offer low rates')" (command "('/usr/sbin/sendmail', '-i', \
'-f', '', '--', 'Notification: We offer low rates')" exited 100  (qmail-inject: \
                fatal: unable to parse this line:
To: Notification: We offer low rates))