List:       tmda-workers
Subject:    pending queue abstraction (was Re: User Poll - What does
From:       "Jason R. Mastaler" <jason () mastaler ! com>
Date:       2003-12-25 8:00:12

Tim Legant <tim@catseye.net> writes:

> I've been wondering if the best implementation for option C might be
> in the UI programs.  That was without considering the sender queue
> possibility.  Does the sender queue buy us anything besides easy
> multi-message release?  If not, it's really not too difficult to
> provide a function to release all messages from a particular sender.
> It would require the UIs to request this when desired (as opposed to
> requesting the release of a single message), but that's not very
> difficult.

My thought was that organizing the messages by sender beforehand would
enhance performance hit later on when releasing and confirming
messages.  With thousands of messages in a pending queue, this info
might be extremely slow to collate on the fly.  Otherwise, no reason
we can't do this now with the existing structure.

> Huh.  I've started working on a rewrite of Pending.py with exactly
> the same thoughts in mind.

Yeah, this really seems like the logical progression.

> I have a basic AbstractQueue class and a DirQueue class
> (implementing the current model).  I have not written, but am
> constantly keeping in mind while I work on this, a DBQueue, where
> pending messages are stored in a database.  Whether or not we ever
> implement that, it does force me to think about queue operations in
> a very abstract way, since any database implementation will be very
> different than a disk-based implementation.

Sweet.  Yeah, I think compartmentalizing the different queue
descriptions as individual modules and publishing an "API" will allow
people to invent new types of pending queues to serve their own needs,
or to share for the improvement of the whole.

> I'd be glad to post a working module (not all features required by
> tmda-cgi and tmda-ofmipd yet) once I've got the basic idea down and,
> well, working. :)

That would be great.  I can probably build on your ideas once I see
them.  I'd like to write a MaildirQueue after that, as this is
something that as you know people have wanted forever, and that I've
put off forever.