List:       tmda-users
Subject:    Re: TMDA, getmail, qmail-inject => wrong return-path
From:       James Thornton <james () jamesthornton ! com>
Date:       2004-02-29 3:44:21

Jason R. Mastaler wrote:

> The getmail FAQ has an entry discussing this.  See
> ``How do I use TMDA with getmail?'' at
> http://www.qcc.ca/~charlesc/software/getmail-3.0/faq.html

TMDA requires that the remote SMTP server inserts a Return-Path: header,
as per the SMTP standard, RFC 821 (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc0821.txt
pp. 21/22), and clarified in RFC 2821
(http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2821.txt), section 4.4, Trace Information.
Unfortunately, not all SMTP servers do this.

How are others dealing with this problem?

Here is are example headers from an e-mail from an IMail server after it
had been retrieved with getmail, and its void of the Envelope-Sender in
the header: