List:       tmda-users
Subject:    an idea: WARN filter target
From:       Tomasz Nidecki <tonid () tonid ! net>
Date:       2003-07-28 13:01:59

Perhaps this can be accomplished using another method, but I have an idea
that might be useful to some [it would be useful to me definitely 8].

How about a WARN filter target, which would send a message back to the
sender, just as bounce does, but would warn the sender about something
and still delived the message?

For example I use a filter that scans for a header which contains info
that the sender IP is in an RBL. Such target would allow me, for those
users who are afraid of RBL-s, to warn the sender that their mail server
is listed in RBL-s and that their mails might not reach other recipients.
This would be a very useful mechanism for spam education purposes,
although I realize it would generate quite a bit of additional bounces,
due to the fact that in many cases the sender would be a real spammer and
their return-path would be invalid.

I know this could probably be easy to do with procmail or dot-qmail and
another program, but it would be much easier to accomplish with tmda. And
one of tmda's features, namely the ability to have different templates
for different domains, would be of great use in such a case [the reply
can be customized in many languages this way]...

--
tomasz 'tonid' nidecki, zoliborz, warszawa, poland
tonid@tonid.net http://tonid.net http://endemic.org